Friday, January 28, 2011

Our Cow, Moo

Today was a beautiful day for nature study.  The warm sun was a welcomed treat after the last few weeks of really cold weather.  The bright blue sky, streaked with wispy cirrus clouds, beckoned us to linger outdoors and enjoy this spring like day.

We chose Moo, our angus cow, as the next point of interest in our study of mammals.  Her black fuzzy coat felt especially warm;  her leathery nose was slippery and wet.  She had a curiosity about her that made us laugh.  We noticed that her teeth were very clean;  "cleaner than mine", says Jake.  (How funny?!)  Madison was intrigued by Moo's long tongue which "she uses to clean out her nose". (I love how kids just tell it like it is.)  And so, after a photo session with our beloved bovine, we headed back indoors to make our journal entries.  We also began our list of mammals in our journals:  dog, cat, and cow.

Moo



Proof of her curiosity!


The Moo-Cow-Moo
Edmund Vance Cooke
My Pa held me up to the moo-cow-moo
So close I could almost touch:
An' I fed him a couple of times or two
An' I wasn't a 'fraid-cat much.
But, ef my Pa goes into the house
An' ef my Mamma goes too, 
I jest keep still like a little mouse 
'Cause the moo-cow-moo might moo!
The moo-cow-moo has a tail like a rope, 
An' it's ravelled down where it grows,
An' it's jest like feelin' a piece of soap
All over the moo-cow's nose.  

The moo-cow-moo has lots of fun
Jest swingin' its tail about,
But ef he opens his mouth, I run
'Cause that's where the moo comes out.

The moo-cow-moo has deers on its head 
An' his eyes bog out of their place:
An' the nose of the moo-cow-moo is spread 
All over the end of his face.

An' his feet is nothing but finger-nails
An' his momma don't keep them cut
An' he gives folks milk in water-pails
Ef he don't keep his handles shut.

'Cause ef you or me pulls them handles, why
The moo-cow-moo says it hurts,
But our hired man he sets close by
An' squirts an' squirts an' squirts.

1 comment:

  1. What a great subject for nature study! Moo Cow indeed. Great observations and I love that you are keeping a list of mammals.

    Thanks for sharing your link with the OHC.

    ReplyDelete